[IP] Re: History of animal insulin in pumps

> Prior to it's conversion to human type, Velosulin was an animal
> insulin. Velosulin used to be the only insulin actually approved for
> use in pumps. It is an assumption on my part that the animal form was
> used in pumps, perhaps others can fill in the history of this
> insulin.

When I began pumping in '83 I used Lilly u100 Regular insulin. I got a few
infections so endo switched me over to Velosulin, which was a pure pork
insulin at the time. I didn't get any more infections. Later, Nordisk buffered
it because many were using it in pumps and the buffering was to avoid
occlusions. Christmas of '96 I was switched to Humalog which was a relief
since the 20 minutes before eating often turned into 20 seconds depending on
how long the line was at Mickey D's.