[IP] Re: decision to have children

I am not diabetic but because I've reached the magical "advanced
maternal age" of 35, I was offered an amnio for this pregnancy. I
refused it AND the AFP test (which is notorious for false
positives.) My mother had a fit and told tell me you "have" to do
the amnio once you're 35 (and apparently my older sister's dr
*made* her get one when she was over 35.) Oh, really? It was
offered to me as an OPTION which implies I have a choice. I opted
for a level II US instead (it turned out to be a level III.) I
later had a fetal (echocardiogram? It was just for the heart) US
which, combined with the first US, reduced my odds for
abnormalities *considerably.* I know amnios are indicated for
some people and they should be done for them. I just don't
believe in "one size fits all" obstetrical care and felt that,
after doing the research and weighing the risks vs benefits, the
amnio and AFP could not be justified in *my* case.

Faith said:
I had one amnio while pg with Zachary.  I have often regreted it.
I risked losing Z just to find out if he would have had some
abnormality.  I would not have chosen to terminate the pregnancy
and now
think I wouldn't have an amnio again.  They can't make you do
it.  I often
think the medical community can't fathom that some people
wouldn't terminate
a pregnancy no matter what was wrong with the baby.
Maybe try talking to your dr about this and give him/her your
reasons for not
wanting the test.  They should listen to you.
little guy due 3/10/01