Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 00:37:07 -0500
From: email @ redacted
Subject: [IP] Update on Humalin Regular U500

It was requested to keep you updated on using the U500 in the
pump, especially for those of us that are real insulin resistant.

I am very happy to say that after two weeks of using the U500 it
has been great. My basal are now set at between .3 to .6 and I am
able to keep a site for more than 3 days. Because .6 tend to lower
my blood sugars too much and .5 they run in the 140s between 1
am and 10 am I have the basal alternating on the half hour between
 the .5 and .6 and this is working beautifully. My blood sugars for
the last week haven't gone above a 145 or below 72!

Last week we had to drop all the basal by .1 because of lows but
that was because the basals were set while I was running the
infection from the appendix and now that all is well I'm requiring
less insulin in both basals and bolusing.

Personally I finding that remembering to bolus a good 2 hours
before eating a bit of a pain so I'm using the pump to square
(Minimed 508) and humalog pens to bolus at meals. Because I can
rotate site with the pen I'm not getting skin reaction from doing that

The only other thing is getting the insulin itself. My CVS doesn't
carry it nor does their distributor but they are able to get it sent
from Lily directly. I will just have to give them a few days notice
when I want to refill my prescription.

It has also been nice to change the pump so the whole syringe
goes into the pump as well. No more poking.

My doctor and I wrote to Lily and asked if there is anyway to have
humalog prepared in a stronger concentration. We are waiting on a
reply. We were informed that Lily does make special preparation of
their insulins in special cases.

Gail J Donohue