[IP] Re: amnio

> > In my case they did an amnio to see if my babies lungs were developed.
> If they weren't developed, then what? Would they have
> recommended terminating the pregnancy?

In my case it would have been VERY beneficial to have an amnio - wasn't
invented yet. My 2nd baby's lungs were NOT developed enough but was delivered
23 days early (induced). He spent 8 days in an isolette - in hosp. 15 days and
couldn't cry out loud until 2.5 mos. old. He squeaked like a mouse and if
crying real hard, his li'l mouth was very wide and he turned red, but no
sound. I had toxemia too, so don't know how that would have turned out, but we
went through quite a bit in those days. He was 2 yrs. behind in school and
lots of emotional stuff. He's doing well as a 38 y/o except for falling off a
building 9/27/99.  When I heard of amnio later, I knew immediately what the
purpose was.  My first one also spent 3 days in an isolette - she was 17 days
early. They just went by guess and by gosh in those days.  I wouldn't be
tooooo harsh in criticizing someone having an amnio since a few more days in
utero may make a big difference in the health/life of the baby and the lungs.
Of course, this would be near delivery - not sporadically to see if there's an
early problem. It IS a baby - not a *thing.*