No Subject

Isn't it a federal guideline that they are interchangeable - like ALL brands
of frozen orange juice are required to add 3 cans of water. I think the pump
companies are following the rules rather than being concerned if we are able
to use another's products. Besides, the infusion sets are made by Maerck - NOT
the pump companies. (~_^)
(I'm catching up on digests since being w/o my PC for 3 weeks and this reply
may have already been made by someone.)
No, fortunately this is not a Federal regulation but a defacto standard
they have standardized on the Luer Lok Connector, a Becton-Dickenson
patented fitting that is used for injection equipment. It became standard
by its wide acceptance by the medical community. It is resistant to
accidently separating, sucking air into the system and to leaking. Its wide
neck makes it possible to biopsy thru the Luer Lock male into its female
mate. numerous cardiovascular devices use these fittings as well. Like most
privately invented things the best ideas become a standard by virtue of
their design.  The infusion sets are not made by Maersk Medical they are
only packaged by them. Maersk is a huge Danish conglomerate like
Transamerica. The sets are made I think by Biersdorf Medical in Germany.
The Softsets are a MiniMed product I'm not certain who makes em but Maersk
also packages those as well. Jan is loosing her memory, Don't you remember
those Yale Stainless Steel Needles we used way back when, with the Luer
Lock Fitting? They tried to make em as dull as possible. You knew when you
were sticking it in your hide. Spot who still has a box of em. The
government can't even count voting ballots let alone formulate a sensible
policy about something. Despite their contention that they are the worlds
greatest authority on everything.
A Bender, M. D.