[IP] Re: Fasting Basals

Here's how I check my basals:

First, I determine what time of day I want to check my
basals.  Then, I determine if anything is occurring at
that time that may affect my readings. For example, I
won't do it on days that I am exercising during that
time period because exercise affects my readings.
(Note: if you are "exercising" but this is your normal
EVERYDAY routine, this doesn't apply since you need to
account for this.)  Another example that is easy to
overlook is stress and/or hormones.  So, I won't check
my basals this week because it is FINALS week..... :-(

Then, I do the testing.  For this example, I will
"check" my basals at dinnertime.  First, I finish
eating my lunch before 2pm.  (Remember, food - the
insulin used to cover it - affects this, so I want to
check my readings when the food and insulin used to
cover it will no longer be a factor.)

Next, I check my sugar at 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11pm
and repeat this process 3 days, preferably all in a
row, and base my changes (only in one-tenth of a unit
increases/decreases) on this info.

If I go high (over 240) I check for ketones.  If they
are negative, trace or small, I don't do anything
except carefully monitor them while continuing my
checks.  If they are or go moderate or large, the
project gets abandoned for the day and I treat those
pesky things.

If I go low, it depends on how low I am before I
post-pone my checks.  For me, if I am 50 or higher I
probably won't treat it because chances are they will
come back up on their own.  (Of course, if I am 60 and
feeling awful I will treat it.)  If I am lower than
50, I usually treat it and do the checks the next day.
 (Once, I was 46 and I didn't treat it.  I didn't feel
anything, which is unusual, and it came up to 82
within an hour.  Note that I don't recommend doing
this, and I have never done it since.......)  :-0

That's about it.  I don't always check my basals for
that long a time (sometimes I only check it from 5 to
8pm).  Hope this info helps, and as always, YMMV!  :-)

Pump hugs,

Melissa Collins

Do You Yahoo!?