[IP] Stress

Interesting to read about stress and high bg's. I know we've all heard that
stress is related to control, but does anyone have any sources of serious
research that supports this? My endo is always telling me to "reduce
stress" as part of my control equation, but as a police officer that is
often difficult to do.
JD Thornton
I agree, stress is one of the most difficult problems to figure. There have
been several controlled studies done, some recently. There are two
scenarios, one stress causes an outpouring of catacholamines which raise
blood pressure, release epinephrine from the adrenal and glucose from the
liver. The other causes a glucose dump without the other effects just by
sympathetic nerve mediated catacholamine release. This has been written up
in Diabetes within the last year or two and also in Diabetic Medicine.  If
this is causing major fluctuations in your BG's and lousy control even with
a pump consider disability retirement if possible. Spot
A Bender, M. D.