[IP] carpal tunnel syndrome

I am wondering if anyone out there has had carpal tunnel, and has
subsequently needed surgery.  I began having symptoms a couple of months ago
out of nowhere, and tests recently conducted show that it is in the
moderately severe range.  After 19 years of diabetes and thinking I was
somewhat invincible, apparently I am not (not that I thought I would be my
entire life).  It is apparent to me that the carpal tunnel is related to
diabetes.  Is it possible that it is not due to the diabetes and that a more
conservative approach may work? Anyone tried that? Any feedback or contacts
(to me directly) would be appreciated as I am in the very beginning stages of
both disbelief and understanding. Thanks.