Re: [IP] Ketones...

Hi Shelly,

Glad to hear things are going well, except for the ketone issue that is
:)  I was curious, what made you check for ketones when his sugars were
in the normal range?  Was he exhibiting symptons?

I seldom if ever check Erica for ketones when sugars are in normal range
unless she is very ill with a virus, wouldn't think of it with a slight
cold.  I have seen ketones in Erica only once that I can remember since
diagnosis 8+ yrs ago. It was not long ago, when we were given regular
pop instead of diet at a fast food place (we figured that had to be the
culprit)  things went nuts through the night.  We always check her
through the night if the sugars are way out of sync based on the norm.
Should have had some of those keto-diastix urine glucose strips in her
monitor to check :)  We kept bolusing her down, and she drank lots of
water and they were gone in a few hours.  They were trace ketones but we
watched them VERY carefully.  If I could not have flushed them in a few
hours we would have called the clinic.

So, anyway, I was wondering what tweaked you to check.  I got the
impression that the cold was minor or basically out of his system, but
perhaps I misread the posting.  I can't find the original to check.
Maybe we should be testing ketones with a low grade virus too.

Barb....mom to Erica, A Canadian Butterfly