[IP] Re: oral surgery

I only had 2 wisdom teeth - that all my dentists could ever
determine, anyway (some hereditary thing that runs in my family.)
I had them removed about 6yrs ago because my dentist said it
would be better to have them out, otherwise they would eventually
decay badly. My mouth and dental arch are so small and those
teeth were so hard to reach (couldn't get that big ole KID SIZED
toothbrush to fit that far back) that I had a hard time keeping
them clean enough. Thankfully, they were not impacted but had
come completely down and straight. I don't even remember them
numbing anything, but if they did, it had to be just something
topical (there were no needles.) Anyway, the dentist put this
little chisel-like gadget between the gum and bottom of the
tooth, and worked his way around the tooth, loosening/wiggling as
he went, then just reached in with pliers and pulled it straight
out (wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, pull, just like that.)
Didn't hurt or anything! No stitches. I was and still am amazed!
I had put that off for years because I thought it was going to be
painful and cause my face to bruise and swell, from what I had
seen and heard from others. I never needed any pain medication
but was told not to drink any carbonated drinks for the first
24hrs so any blood clots that had formed would not be dissolved.
I wasn't supposed to eat chips or popcorn for the first day
either so nothing would get into the holes (I did eat beef jerky
when I got home though. Ooops!) The food/drink restrictions were
the hard part!!!

Hubby, on the other hand, had his pulled a very different way
(different dentist) and they darn near broke his jaw trying to
get the tooth out. He now has a lovely clicking jaw joint because
of that experience (ugh!)
little guy due 3/10/01