[IP] Re: Ketones...(poll)

Just had to comment on this (missed it before.) There really is
no need to rush off to the ER (esp with small or trace ketones -
that is overkill) unless the ketones are not responding to
treatment no matter what you do and/or the condition worsens
rapidly (it should be pretty obvious fairly early on that things
are getting worse and not better.) Panic doesn't do anyone any
good and often vital time is lost and/or wasted because of it.
I'm not saying it's not okay to be scared, just that people
should try not to panic in these situations (I know when I had to
use glucagon on two occasions I was scared "stuff"less myself -
it wasn't fun sitting there watching my daughter convulse. But I
didn't panic and just did what I knew I had to do. *Someone* has
to remain calm, have their wits about them, and take charge.)

If you don't already have the "Pink Panther book" (aka the
parents' diabetes Bible, although it is really helpful no matter
what age), Understanding Insulin-Dependent Diabetes by H. Peter
Chase, I *highly* recommend it. It is the book I turn to most
often for troubleshooting and is the reason I don't feel like I
have to call and ask the dr all sorts of questions when there are
problems (*everything* is covered in detail in this book.) It is
not too expensive (under $15), very well written, and easy to

Shelly said:
ps.  I once had a lady tell me that even with small ketones she
rushes her child to emergency room...hmmm.

little guy due 3/10/01