[IP] Ketones in pregnancy

not uncommon in pregnancy (diabetes or not.) Probably just
means she needs more calories (and to drink lots of fluids to
help wash the ketones out.) She is growing a baby and may not be
getting enough calories to meet both of their energy needs.
Ginny said:
My daughter is 4 1/2 months pg does not have diabetes. She went
in for her
monthly check up and she had ketones. Is this a sign of impending
diabetes? They did no BG check.
I am concerned. The mid wife told her to drink a lot of water but
it seems to
me they should have done a BG check. Any input? Am I worrying
over nothing?
She has gained 4 pounds.
She is a petite person. She has been dizzy and faint feeling
between meals.
is a middle school teacher so she can't go and get something.
She has gained very little weight. is she eating properly?  I would think
that she will have a GTT in a few more weeks from her ob doc. Since they
are aware of the problems induced by gestational diabetes the dizzy a\nd
faint feeling between meals is not unusual especially in women who are not
properly nourished. She probably is not eating enough carbs and ketones can
result from that alone. She needs to have an appointment with her doctor
but I doubt if any of the ketones are anything to worry about. Energy needs
are high in pregnancy and ketones are present as a result in many women.
The OB who is watching her must not realize she gained so little weight.
Maybe a little motherly nosiness might be required here Ginny. Spot
A Bender, M. D.