[IP] Women in Afganistan

Subject:
        Please sign and send on...
   Date:
        Sat, 09 Dec 2000 18:46:39 -0500 (EST)

Subject: Protest to the UN

Petition to United Nations

Dear Friends:

This is something that we essentially as human beings need  to support -

I don't know if this is going to help, but take 3 minutes out of your

life to do your part.

Madhu, the government of Afghanistan, is waging a war upon women.  Since

the Taliban took power in 1996, women have had to wear burqua and have

been beaten and stoned in public for not having the proper attire, even

if this means simply not having the mesh covering in front of their

eyes.  One woman was beaten to death by an angry mob of fundamentalists

for accidentally exposing her arm while she was driving.  Another was

stoned to death for trying to leave the country witha man that was not a

relative.

Women are not allowed to work or even go out in public without a male

relative; professional women such as professors, translators, doctors,

lawyers, artists and writers have been forced from their jobs and
stuffed

into their homes.  Homes where a woman is present must have  their

windows painted so that she can never be seen by outsiders.   They must

wear silent shoes so that they are never heard.

Women live in fear of their lives for the slightest misbehavior.
Because

they cannot work, those without male relatives or husbands are either

starving to death or begging on the street, even if they hold Ph.D.s.

Depression is becoming so widespread that it has reached emergency

levels. There is no way in such an extreme Islamic society to know the

suicide rate with certainty, but relief workers are estimating that the

suicide rate among women, who cannot find proper medication and
treatment

for severe depression and would rather take their lives than live in
such

conditions, has increased significantly.  There are almost no medical

facilities available for women.

At one of the rare hospitals for women, a reporter found still, nearly

lifeless bodies lying motionless on top of beds, wrapped in their
burqua,

unwilling to speak, eat, or do anything, but slowly wasting away.
Others

have gone mad and were seen crouched in corners, perpetually rocking or

crying, most of them in fear.  One doctor is considering, when what

little medication that is left finally runs out, leaving these women in

front of the president's residence as a form of protest.

It is at the point where the term "human rights violations" has become
an

understatement. Husbands have the power of life and death over their

women relatives, especially their wives, but an angry mob has just as

much right to stone or beat a woman, often to death, for exposing an
inch

of flesh or offending them in the slightest way.

Women enjoyed relative freedom, to work, dress generally as they wanted,

and drive and appear in public alone until only 1996.  The rapidity of

this transition is the main reason for the depression and suicide; women

who were once educators or doctors or simply used to basic human
freedoms

are now severely restricted and treated as subhuman in the name of

right-wing fundamentalist Islam. It is not their tradition or 'culture,'

but it is alien to them, and it is extreme even for those cultures where

fundamentalism is the rule.

Everyone has a right to a tolerable human existence, even if they are

women in a Muslim country.  If we can threaten military force in Kosovo

in the name of human rights for the sake of ethnic Albanians, citizens
of

the world can certainly express peaceful outrage at the oppression,

murder and injustice committed against women by the Taliban.

STATEMENT:

In signing this, we agree that the current treatment of women in

Afghanistan is completely UNACCEPTABLE and deserves action by the United

Nations, and that the current situation in Afghanistan will not be

tolerated.

Women's Rights is not a small issue anywhere, and it is UNACCEPTABLE for

women in 2000 to be treated as subhuman and as so much as property.

Equality and human decency is a RIGHT, not a freedom, whether one lives

in Afghanistan or elsewhere.

1) Suzanne Dathe, Grenoble, France

2) Laurence COMPARAT, Grenoble,France

3) Philippe MOTTE, Grenoble, France

4) Jok FERRAND, Mont St Martin, France

5) Emmanuelle PIGNOL, St Martin d'Heres, FRANCE

6) Marie GAUTHIER, Grenoble, FRANCE

7) Laurent VESCALO, Grenoble,FRANCE

8) Mathieu MOY, St Egreve, FRANCE

9) Bernard BLANCHET, Mont St Martin, FRANCE

10) Tassadite FAVRIE, Grenoble, FRANCE

11) Loic GODARD, St Ismier, FRANCE

12) Benedicte PASCAL, Grenoble, FRANCE

13) Khedaidja BENATIA, Grenoble, FRANCE

14) Marie-Therese LLORET, Grenoble,FRANCE

15) Benoit THEAU, Poitiers, FRANCE

16) Bruno CONSTANTIN, Poitiers, FRANCE

17) Christian COGNARD, Poitiers, FRANCE

18) Robert GARDETTE, Paris, FRANCE

19) Claude CHEVILLARD, Montpellier, FRANCE

20) gilles FREISS, Montpellier, FRANCE

21) Patrick AUGEREAU, Montpellier, FRANCE.

22) Jean IMBERT, Marseille, FRANCE

23) Jean-Claude MURAT, Toulouse, France

24) Anna BASSOLS, Barcelona, Spain

25) Mireia DUNACH, Barcelona, Spain

26) Michel VILLAZ, Grenoble, France

27) Pages Frederique, Dijon, France

28) Rodolphe FISCHMEISTER, Chatenay-Malabry, France

29) Francois  BOUTEAU, Paris, France

30) Patrick PETER, Paris, France

31) Lorenza RADICI, Paris, France

32) Monika Siegenthaler, Bern, Switzerland

33) Mark Philp, Glasgow, Scotland

34) Tomas Andersson, Stockholm,Sweden

35) Jonas Eriksson, Stockholm, Sweden

36) Karin Eriksson, Stockholm, Sweden

37) Ake Ljung, Stockholm, Sweden

38) Carina Sedlmayer, Stockholm, Sweden

39) Rebecca Uddman, Stockholm, Sweden

40) Lena Skog, Stockholm, Sweden

41) Micael Folke, Stockholm, Sweden

42) Britt-Marie Folke, Stockholm, Sweden

43) Birgitta Schuberth, Stockholm, Sweden

44) Lena Dahl, Stockholm, Sweden

45) Ebba  Karlsson, Stockholm, Sweden

46) Jessica Carlsson, Vaxjo, Sweden

47) Sara Blomquist, Vaxjo, Sweden

48) Magdalena Fosseus, Vaxjo, Sweden

49) Charlotta Langner, Goteborg,Sweden

50) Andrea Egedal, Goteborg, Sweden

51) Lena Persson, Stockholm, Sweden

52) Magnus Linder, Umea ,Sweden

53) Petra  Olofsson, Umea, Sweden

54) Caroline Evenbom, Vaxjo, Sweden

55) Asa Pettersson, Grimsas, Sweden

56) Jessica Bjork, Grimsas, Sweden

57) Linda Ahlbom Goteborg, Sweden

58) Jenny Forsman, Boras, Sweden

59) Nina Gunnarson,  Kinna, Sweden

60) Andrew Harrison, New Zealand

61) Bryre Murphy, New  Zealand

62) Claire Lugton, New Zealand

63) Sarah Thornton, New Zealand

64) Rachel  Eade, New Zealand

65) Magnus Hjert, London, UK

67) Madeleine Stamvik, Hurley, UK

68) Susanne Nowlan, Vermont, USA

69) Lotta Svenby, Malmoe, Sweden

70) Adina Giselsson, Malmoe, Sweden

71) Anders Kullman, Stockholm, Sweden

72) Rebecka Swane, Stockholm,Sweden

73) Jens Venge, Stockholm, Sweden

74) Catharina Ekdahl, Stockholm, Sweden

75) Nina Fylkegard, Stockholm, Sweden

76)Therese Stedman, Malmoe, Sweden

77) Jannica Lund, Stockholm, Sweden

78)  Douglas Bratt

79) Mats Lofstrom, Stockholm, Sweden

80) Li Lindstrom, Sweden

81) Ursula Mueller, Sweden

82) Marianne Komstadius, Stockholm, Sweden

83) Peter Thyselius, Stockholm, Sweden

84) Gonzalo Oviedo, Quito, Ecuador

85) Amalia Romeo, Gland, Switzerland

86) Margarita Restrepo, Gland, Switzerland

87) Eliane Ruster, Crans p.C., Switzerland

88) Jennifer Bischoff-Elder, Hong  Kong

89)Azita Lashgari, Beirut, Lebanon

90)Khashayar Ostovany, New York,  USA

91)Lisa L Miller, Reno NV

92)Danielle Avazian, Los Angeles, CA

93) Sara Risher, Los Angeles, Ca.

94) Melanie London, New York, NY

95) Susan  Brownstein , Los Angeles, CA

96) Steven Raspa, San Francisco, CA

97) Margot Duane, Ross, CA

98) Natasha Darnall, Los Angeles, CA

99) Candace Brower,  Evanston, IL

100) James Kjelland, Evanston, IL

101) Michael Jampole, Beach  Park, IL, USA

102) Diane Willis, Wilmette, IL, USA

103) Sharri Russell,  Roanoke, VA, USA

104) Faye Cooley, Roanoke, VA, USA

105) Celeste Thompson, Round Rock, TX, USA

106) Sherry Stang, Pflugerville, TX, USA

107) Amy J. Singer, Pflugerville, TX USA

108) Milissa Bowen, Austin, TX USA

109)  Michelle Jozwiak, Brenham, TX USA

110) Mary Orsted, College Station, TX USA

111) Janet Gardner, Dallas, TX  USA

112) Marilyn Hollingsworth, Dallas, TX USA

113) Nancy Shamblin,  Garland.  TX USA

114) K. M. Mullen, Houston, TX - USA

115) Noreen Tolman, Houston, Texas - USA

116) Judy Bechtel, Merced, CA - USA

117) Delores Iliff, FL,  USA

118) Nicole Propper, FL, USA

119) Bonnie LaChance, FL, USA

120) JoAnn Blades, FL, USA

121) Pam Blades, FL, USA

122) Louise Campbell, FL, USA

123) Marcy DeSanto, FL, USA

124) 124) Donald Blades, FL,USA

125) Tom LaChance, FL,  USA

126)Craig Huff, GA, USA

127) Karen Huff, FL, USA

128) Heather Huff, GA,  USA

129) Franki Silcox GA, USA

130) Karin Horn, TX, USA

131) Lara Nelson, OH, USA

132) Beth Pilous, OH, USA

133) Sarah Clare, OH, USA

134) Carla Roth,  OH,  USA

135) Jenny Zukowski, MI, USA

136) Amanda Silic, MI, USA

137) Heather  Gilroy, MD, USA

138) Kat Carrion, MD USA

139) Michelle Stryjewski, MD  USA

140) Elizabeth H Stevens, OR, USA

141) Alice Stevens, OR, USA

142) Tyler R.  Monzie/ OR/ USA

143) Allea Martin, OR, USA

145) Jose Tancuan, Or, USA

146) Akia Woods, OR USA

147) Bernie Gardent, OR, USA

148) Leslie Hall, OR,  USA

149)Susan J. Woods, OR, USA

150) [Cegelnik, Dixie] , OR, USA

151 Susan  Amburgey, OR, USA

152 Cindy Harboldt, OR, USA

153 Richard Rehm, CA, USA

154. Lyn Lindsay, CA, USA

155.  Alma Gilligan, CA, USA

156. Maureen Lechwar, CA, USA

157.  Leslie Morales, CA, USA

158.  Marci Marcantonio, CA, USA

159 Jill  Haskins, CA, USA

159. Jacqueline Gouly, CA, USA

161 Janet Talbott, CA, USA

162. Manjula Subbiah, CA, USA

163. Susan Duncan, CA,USA

164. Blanca E. Reynoso, CA, USA

165. Ruth C. Reynoso, Ca, USA

166.Phyllis H. Rawlins, Anaheim, CA, USA

167. Lori Rice, Naples, Italy

168.Mina Giovannitti, Las Vegas, USA (Turkey)

169. Fred Giovannitti, Las Vegas, USA

170. Noelle Brunelle, NV, USA

171. Kimberly A. Karl, NV, USA

172. Alana Segall, NV, USA

173. Mark Leonard, NV, USA

174. Nancy Leonard, NV, USA

175. Troy Leonard, NV, USA

176. Robert Mock AZ. USA

177. Patty Flanigan AZ, USA

178. William A Towne III, AZ, USA

179. Ellen J. Matheson, Los Angeles, CA, USA

180. Theresa Leets, Los Angeles, CA, USA

181. G. Ahou Soomekh, Los Angeles, CA, USA

182. Ronith Herman, El Paso, TX

183. Lauren R. Stein, PA,USA

184. Michelle F. King, PA, USA

185. Jere' Webb, CA, USA

186. Kim Anderson, CA USA

187. Kirsten Hinsdale, VA, USA

188. Ronald David, Wash, DC

189. Cheryl Barnes, Buffalo, NY

190. Dawne David, Wash DC, USA

191.Madhu Dutta New Delhi, India

192. Madhu Sen New Delhi, India

193. Alokparna, VA USA

194. Anjali Dasgupta, MS USA

195. Tilottama Brahmachari, NJ, USA

196.Chandrima Datta Ray, MS, USA

197. Jaydip Datta Ray, MS, USA

198. MarIa Florencia Vidano, MA, USA

199. Matteo Dufour,Genova, Italia

200. Francois Dufour, Lugano, Switzerland

201. Francesco Ricasoli, Firenze, Italia

202. Lena Larsson, Stockholm, Sweden

203. Katarina Wigle, Stockholm, Sweden

204. Petter ?berg, Stockholm, Sweden

205. Per-Anders Stensson, Uppsala, Sweden

206. Malin MArtensson,  Uppsala, Sweden

207. Maria Carlstedt

208. Eli Cathrine Wilhelmsen, Uppsala, Sweden

209. AnnaMaria Billing, Uppsala, Sweden

210. Christina Molnar, Uppsala, Sweden

211. Christina Bergmark, Stockholm, Sweden

212. Katarina Mimmi  SpAng, Stockholm, Sweden

213. M"rta Terese M-rnvik, Stockholm, Sweden

214. Sofi  HAkansson, Malm-, Sweden

215. ?sa Grogarn Sol,G-teborg, Sweden

216. Anders Jonsson, G-teborg, Sweden

217. ?sa Ericsson,G-teborg, Sweden

218. Elna F leide Selle, Bergen, Norway

219. Brynjar Stautland, B mlo, Norway

220. Berte Figenschou Amundsen, Trondheim, Norway

221. Marte Mrkved-Romstad, Oslo, Norway

222. Kjersti Forbregd, Trondheim, Norway

223.Inger Margrethe Torgersen, Oslo, Norway

224. Lisbeth Skogstrand,Oslo, Norway

225. Ragnhild Skogstrand, Stokmarknes, Norway

226. Hanne Husaas,Lier, Norway

227. Helena Wikstr-m, Lund, Sweden

228. Kimberly Rapport, Ca,USA

229. Kristie Bennett, San Jose, CA, USA

230. Debi Di Bias, Santa Monica, CA, USA

231. Whitney Allen, San Francisco, CA USA

232. Kaaren Shalom, LosAngeles, CA USA

233. Gretchen German, Los Angeles, CA USA

234. SusanPeretz, Los Angeles, CA USA

235. Caryn West, Los Angeles, CA. USA

236. HeatherJuergensen, Los Angeles, CA USA

237. Camryn Manheim. Los Angeles, CA USA

238.Julianne Williams, Los Angeles, CA USA

239. Jenna Elfman, Los Angeles, CA USA

240. Rachel Smith, Los Angeles, CA USA

241. Matthew Ian Glass, LosAngeles, CA USA

242. Bret R. Howey, Los Angeles, CA USA

243. Tammy Terrenzi, LosAngeles, CA USA

244. Jocelyn Jones Watkins. Santa Monica, Calif, USA

245.Irene Dirmann, Clearwater Florida USA

246. Robin Karfo, SantaMonica, CA, USA

247. Monica Larissa Hershaft, Los Angeles, CA USA

248. AdrianUrsu. Los Angeles, CA USA

249. Tim Capaldi, Detroit, MI USA

250. MarisaOzburn, Chicago, IL

251. Kristina Boos, Detroit, MI USA

252. Anne Monday,Detroit, MI USA

253. Tiffany Reese, Detroit, MI USA

254. Kim Huston,Detroit, MI USA

255. Denise LaPlante, Detroit, MI USA

256. Piper Paton Smith,Roseville, MI USA

257. Yvette Beebe, Northville, MI USA

258. Jody Harris,Redford, MI USA

259. Pat Kovach, Brighton, MI USA

260. Karyn Anderson,Singapore

261. Steve Schafer, MI USA

262. Sue Schafer, MI USA

263. Elizabeth T.LaBelle MI USA

264. Robert A. LaBelle MI USA

265. Faye M. Woodley, CO USA

266.Dan Woodley CO, USA

267. Dani Watkins CO, USA

268. Donna Royster CO, USA

269.Chuck Pitte CO, USA

270. Twila Eberly CO, USA

271. Sandy Reavey CO, USA

272. Carolee Laughton, CO, USA

273. Jeffrey Adams, CO, USA

274. SusanConder, CO, USA

275. Kathryn Haley, CO, USA

276. Gloria Haley, CO, USA

277.Samatra Doyle, CO, USA

278. Janet Neary, CA, USA

279. Kelly Metzler, CA, USA

280. Elizabeth Anderson, MN, USA

281. Rinda West, IL, USA

282. Richard Kroth,IL, USA

283. Heather Driscoll, Chicago, IL, USA

284.Mariluz Adler,

Venice,CA,USA

285. Marisol

Adler, Venice,CA, USA

286. Petra Matouschek,

Pasadena, CA, USA

287. Alina Wolff, Vienna, AUSTRIA

288. Angelika Brudniak,Vienna, AUSTRIA

289. Marie-Theres Holler, Vienna, AUSTRIA

290. BarbaraPeretti, Salzburg, AUSTRIA

291. Susanne Gordon-Oberhofer, Salzburg, Austria

292. Karin Pernegger, Nantes, France

293. David Michael Clarke, Nantes,France

294. Heidi Nikolaisen, Bergen, Norway

295. Lise Johansen,Tromso, Norway

296. Jeff Rechenbach, Cleveland, Ohio USA

297. Susan C. Pisha,Portland, OR USA

298. Ms. Charlie M. Clint, Portland, OR USA

299. BeverlyWilson Thornburg, Denver, CO USA

300. Sue Lowe, Austin, TX USA

301.Cheyenne Weaver, Austin, TX USA

302. Christine Walsh, Seattle, WA USA

303.Olivia Vlcek, Seattle, WA USA

304. Jenny Sayward, Seattle, WA USA

305. DianeSte. Marie, WA USA

306. Jane Langenes, Seattle, WA USA

307. Sharon Chambers,Seattle, WA USA

308. Jackie Jackman, Ill, USA

309. Marcia Patience,Chicago, IL USA

310. K. Heaton, Kansas, USA

311. T. L. Essig, Lees Summit,MO USA

312. Erica Bourgeois, Vancouver, BC Canada

313. NicciBergunder, Vancouver, BC Canada\

314. Chief Kim Baird, Tsawwassen, BC Canada

315.Leah George-Wilson, North Vancouver, BC Canada

316. Stefany Mathias,Vancouver, BC Canada

317. David DeLeary, Toronto, ON, Canada

318. Debra Goldblatt,Toronto, ON, CANADA

319. Kelly Lamb, Toronto, ON, Canada

320. Carla RoblinPryce, Toronto, ON, Canada

321. Theresa Taylor, Toronto, ON, Canada

322. LeahTaylor Roy, Boston, MA, USA

323. Jan-Marie Gundacker, Bradley Beach, NJ, USA

324. Jane Wyker, Rye, NY US

325. Barbara Berdon, NY, USA

326. CarolRickard, Longboat Key, FL, USA

327. Sally C. Mahofski, Sarasota, FL, USA

328.Katharine Graham, Manchester, MA, USA

329. Thaddeus Beal, Somerville,MA USA

330. Vreni Blatter, Olten, Switzerland

331. Christoph Blatter, Olten, Switzerland

332. Marcel Hermans, Amsterdam, Netherlands

333. Cornelia Blatter, Amsterdam, Netherlands

334. Shauna Church, Brooklyn, NY, USA

335. Jill Enfield, NYC, NY, USA

336. Barbara Bell, NYC, NY, USA

337. Betsy Chory, Los Angeles, CA USA

338. Dody Dorn, Los Angeles, CA USA

339. Rica Linders, los Angeles, CA USA

340. Lisa Str*mbeck, TolBnga, Sweden

341. Bettina Munk, Berlin, Germany

342. Myriam Thyes, D|sseldorf, Germany

343. Stephan Robinson, Basel, Switzerland

344. Joel A. Cohen, San Francisco, CA USA

345. Shantena Augusto Sabbadini, Casole d'Elsa,Italy

346. Matthias Hartmann, Casole D'Elsa, Italy

347. Manjeet Kaur Gill, Casole D'Elsa, Italy

348. Dott. Santamaria, Giuseppe, Siena, Italy

349. Schluter-Santamaria, Cornelia, Siena, Italy

350. Martin, Linda, Salt Spring Island, B.C. Canada

360. Davies,Paula,Salt Spring Island ,B.C. Canada

361. Ben Serbutt, London, UK

362. Yvonne Lipianin, Melbourne, Australia

363. Nicole Rodger, Melbourne, Australia

364) Jinari Berg, Melbourne, Australia

365. Lucinda Young, Castlemaine, Australia

366. Maurice Kennedy, Castlemaine, Australia

367 Tim Ferguson, Melbourne Australia

368. Kenn Lewis, Melbourne Australia

369. Janette Connolly Melbourne Australia

370  Mike Rudd Melbourne Australia

371 Greg Quill, Toronto, Canada

372 David Elfick, Sydney, Australia

373 Juliet Grimm, London, England

374 Lisa McWilliams, Philadelphia, PA, USA

375 Scott Lax, Chagrin Falls, OH USA

376 Cheri Peters, Sewanee, TN  USA

377 Miriam Berkley, NYC, NY

378 Alice Meattey, Dover, NH USA
379 Catherine Wolff, Kittery, Maine, USA

380  Dianne De Mink, Hot Springs, AR, USA

PLEASE COPY this email on to a new message, sign the bottom and forward

it to everyone on your distribution lists. If you receive this list with

more than 600 names on it, please e-mail a copy of it to:

email @ redacted Even if you decide not to sign, please be

considerate and do not kill the petition. Thankyou!

Reply Reply All Forward  Delete  Previous Next  Close