Re: [IP] Gastroparesis question

In a message dated 12/9/00 11:26:39 PM, email @ redacted writes:

<< I have a question for those who have experienced gastroparesis.  What are
your symptoms?  I have been having stomach problems - mainly nausea, stomach
making gurgling noises, burping, slight burning in upper part of stomach >>

Linda, what happens to your blood glucose after eating?  Does it ever go
really low in the period when your insulin is working, then high later?  If
not, before assuming it is gastroparesis, I would check out such things as
GERD (reflux), which is really common.  For me, the nausea is the only one of
these symptoms I would particularly associate with gastroparesis, but I guess
the others could be. I get them too, sometimes, but usually associate them
with overeating or my hiatal hernia causing some reflux.  When the area
inside my lower ribs is really tender and bloated and glucose tablets and
ginger ale don't bring up my blood sugar, then I also may have the other
symptoms, and I consider that gastroparesis.  Obviously, it is quite possible
to have both.  And eating small meals is helpful with either problem.  I find
it very helpful to severely limit my fat intake, also.

Linda Z