[IP] Re: The decision to have children

Ignorance is bliss (shoulda shown her right where to kiss!) ;)
Sorry, being silly now (hey, it's late)! :)
That is SO ABSURD! Esp since it was your younger child that got
it first (not that her suggestion made any sense in the first
place)!!! People really ought to think before they speak (can you
tell this sort of thing is a sore spot for me? I am often the
recipient of undeserved, negative comments simply because I look
young for my age and have lots of kids. People seem to think this
gives them free license to let loose on me with their opinions.)

When my daughter was dx'd, one of the first things my mother said
to me was that we shouldn't have anymore kids because they might
get diabetes too (sure we can prevent having more, but what about
the other 4 kids who already existed at that point? Exactly what
were we supposed to do with THEM? After all, if the kids born
AFTER dx were at risk, wouldn't the ones born BEFORE dx also be
at risk?) I didn't understand it then and I still don't. (It was
moot anyway as I was due any day with #6 at the time my daughter
was dx'd.) Should we not ever have kids (or never have more kids)
because they *might* get hit by a car, *might* get sick, *might*
this or *might* that? Doesn't make sense. Using logic like that,
no one should ever do anything because after all, something
*might* happen! I'm not going to let "what ifs" and "mights" stop
me from living my life the way I want to. I know my other kids
are at risk for getting diabetes. But they are also at risk for
about a zillion other things. I'll take my chances anyway because
I can't imagine life without them.

Becky said:

we were taking money up in front of wal marts a year
ago for the walk for diabetes. i was holding a picture
of my two kids (both have diabetes). an older lady
walk by and i told her what we was doing. she looked
at me and said well it seems you would have quit
having children after the first got diabetes. i had to
walk off from her, i never want to hit someone as bad
as i want to hit her. what she does not know was that
baby got diabetes first and than my older got diabetes
2 1/2 years later. beside the point it is my decision
to have children.
becky fl
chelsey 7 dxed 9/99 and nathan 4 2/97. pumping and
loving it

little guy due 3/10/01