[IP] Re: An invitation to online support group forum(s)

No way am I leaving! :) I get too much out of the CWD and IP
lists to leave! The eCircle thing is not a mailing list...it's
just an online forum sort of like the Yahoo, Delphi, Excite, and
other similar clubs (I like to think of it as an online support
group) where people can share files, photos, links, book lists,
chat, etc, and there is a discussion area (which can be posted to
like a discussion board but you CAN also send them out via email.
That feature can be turned off though so you don't get emails
from the site.) So it is not *exactly* the same thing (if it were
it could *never* compare to CWD and IP! I wouldn't even try to
compete with them!) The eCircles are not very active at present
but I'm sure as more people join, the activity will pick up.

As for the issues...as far as diabetes goes there are NO
differences. But there ARE differences between military life and
civilian life (like long deployments and TDY's, etc. Often one
parent or the other is left to deal with everything for months
and months at a time with little or no support. It helps to have
other people to talk to who can relate to not only that, but to
the diabetes aspect as well.) We also all share the exact same
insurance (Tricare) no matter where we live, and there are issues
with that which would not pertain to anyone else. Many military
hospitals have adult diabetes support groups but none for the
children. We feel this could help other areas develop support
groups for the children but in the meantime, serve as an online
support source. This (military vs civilian groups) is no
different than having separate support groups for children with
diabetes and adults with diabetes. There are issues that each
group deals with that the other does NOT have to deal with,
although they DO have the diabetes in common. I hope I'm making
some sense here. If not, I'll try to explain it better when I
have more time and I'm not so tired! :)

Michelle Rago wrote:
> 1.  I'm not in the military, but are the issues all that different?
> 2.  Why create/join another when this one is great?
> 3.  I hope this doesn't mean you'll be leaving us.  One online support group
> is all I could keep up with!
> Michelle
little guy due 3/10/01