[IP] my gusher stories...gross!!

Hello everyone.  I have been off the list for a while and browsing through
tonight I was NOT surprised to see the same topics still being
discussed...tee hee....welcome to all the new people...I am just kidding
about it being the same old same old...it isn't for you, so ask away...

so anyway, y'all were discussing a topic near and dear to my heart...the
infamous gusher....I have only had two in almost 8 yrars of pumping..here are
the stories...if you are queasy stomached, you may want to skip

THIS IS GROSS - you have been warned...

This first story was posted back in march of 98.... The actual event took
place in 1996, I believe when i was still using the bent needle....

I was changing my site - It was a fairly new site - like less than 2 days,
but it had gotten really sore, but not red or anything.  I was standing at
the kitchen counter and I pulled the site out (using bent needles at this
time)  I wiped the spot with an alcohol pad and carried on filling the next
infusion set.  I noticed a warm sensation on my stomach and looked down to
see blood OOZING out of the site!  Not gushing but literally thick blood
OOZING  - like raspberry jam?  got the visual?  eww grosssss!

So I wiped it again with the alcohol pad.  Since I had a nice roll of fat on
my belly, and this site happened to be on the down side of the roll, I used
one hand to stretch my skin up a little so I can see.  Well, when I stretched
and then wiped the oozing blood off, it was like I had turned on a fire
hose!!  This pin sized hole spewed blood with enough force to hit my kitchen
cabinets 5 feet away!.  Stupidly, I stretched my skin up again to see what
the hell is going on and blood continues in a real purty
arc around the kitchen - window, curtains, stove. etc.

I am, as you can imagine, FREAKING OUT!!!.  The two alcohol pads are soaked,
so I grab the kitchen towel and press it into my stomach.  I am bleeding to
death I think.....I go sit down cuz for some reason I am feeling rather
faint, with this towel
pressed into my stomach.  I peek under it only to be rewarded by blood in my
face.  I hold the towel there another minute and peek again - this sucker is
still gushing!  So, living alone as I did, I called 911 and about the time
the operator answered,
I thought, I am not going to incur an ambulance expense not to mention the ER
headache for a mere nose bleed outta my belly.  So I hung up and sat down

I had to keep the towel there another 5 minutes before it stopped bleeding.
At the end of all this, the towel, my underwear, etc. was soaked in blood.
All of this out of a eensy weensy itty bitty pin sized hole.

What I think happened is that the needle had nicked a blood vessel at some
point during the day  which starting the initial discomfort.  It had bled
under the skin but the needle kept re nicking it maybe, cuz I was running
around and doing alot of physical stuff all day.  When I first pulled it out,
the oozing blood was just like clotted blood that had pooled there near the
site - when I wiped the clot away with the alcohol pad, it was like turning
on the hose.  Who know.  I had a nice bruise for a couple of weeks

never happened again...until

Back in July of this year....I had been having awesome bgs, but one morning
had 2 unexplainable 200s.  I noticed a bit of blood just where the canula
enters the
skin, so figured I would do a site change...this one was almost a week old
anyway....so I did...about 2 inches away,  same side but further
back....plugged in, primed and went about my day....great sugars all day

That night, I woke up around 4am and my hand was on my site...and I noticed
my pump wasnt pluggged in!!!  what?  I was still kinda drowsy, so I felt
around...found the pump laying in bed where I knew it would be, and followed
the tubing to my body...ahhh there it was - in the OTHER site...I moved my
hand back to the OLD site, which I now realized I had left in, and lifted the
tape off, pulled it off and dozed back to sleep.

Now, it had been hotter than, well, hell, here in Hell's Kitchen, NYC so I
was used to being slightly damp when I sleep, and I didn't think anything
unusual when I felt that first drop of "sweat" roll down my back...as I wiped
it away i thought "that feels weird." and as i moved my hand around it felt
awfully soaking wet for a little sweat, and awfully warm and sticky even for
MY sweat...so i turn on my light...My hand is COVERED in blood.  My arm all
the way to the elbow is covered in blood,  my stomach looks like a prop for
ER!!!  my innie navel is FULL of blood - and it is all over the
place...sheet, pillow, t-shirt, underwear...I grab a tissue...kinda like
grabbing a roach motel in defense of the plague of the locusts I would
imagine...and hold it to the "wound"  thick darkish blood OOZING from it...it
is soaked in seconds...grab a roll of toilet paper I keep handy for night
time snotty noses and press the entire roll to me....and watch in amazement
as the red spreads through it...

Finally it stops enough so i can get down out of the loft and into the
bathroom to clean myself off.  I looked like Carrie at the Prom, the "after"
picture...my roommate for some reason was up watching TV...scared the crap
outta him...

I love diabetes

Sara Smartie Pants