Re: [IP] gushers??

Ok, first gushers are not dangerous...only frightening.  The biggest problem
with them is they bloody up your clothes and floor/carpet.

I only use my abdomen and it happens when I am taking the infusion set
out...not when I am putting it in.

The term gusher is not really accurate. It's not gushing like an oil
well...it's more like a stream of blood coming out of the hole where the
infusion set was. It is enough blood, however, to soak your clothes in just
a few seconds.

When it happens you have to think fast.  This is not because it is a health
issue, but because you want to stop the blood from messing everything up.

Direct pressure will stop the bleeding in short order.  I use an alcohol
swab because they are the handiest thing when it happens (a gauze pad would
be better).

There is no pain involved.  The first time it happened to me I only noticed
a feeling of wetness.  I was filling the syringe at the time, I freed one
hand and felt where the wet feeling was.  When I lifted and looked at my
hand it was covered with blood.  I looked down to see what was going on and
there was bright red everywhere.

I guess it happens to me 4 times a year.  Not a common happening...but not
that rare either.

So in conclusion, it's nothing dangerous..just a bloody mess, that scares
the hell out of you the first time it happens. -James