Re: [IP] Heredity

I was told that in order to get diabetes you have to have the
predisposed "gene".  This gene is  passed on by "both" parents - not
just one.  The parents do not have to have diabetes and in our case
neither of us do. the virus's or illness's are only a trigger for the
onset of D.  Our first child (now 4.5 yo) has D and our second (18 mos)
so far does not.  His risk factor in getting D is suppose to be 10%
lifetime.  He has tested positive for one of the 3 autoantibodies (but
as a baby this may be normal and go away), however, it may have now
increased his risk to 30%.  (This is what we were told by my son's pedi
endo who is also D since age 4).

Lisa
Mom to Andrew dxd 14 mos / now 4.5 - begin pumping on Dec 19!