[IP] Re: IP] Late JD Diagnosis - Possible Reasons

  I was also diagnosed later on in life...  I can remember being 9 or 10 and
having many of the symptoms, especially the excessive thirst.  My grandmother
once commented "I swear you have diabetes" as I would come in from playing to
drink all the time.  I am not sure why I never had blood tests as I was
growing up.  When I was 24 I began really feeling badly.  Always exhausted,
drastic weight loss, shooting leg pains etc.  I was working out daily, doing
step aerobics, and would be almost vomiting by the end of the class.  Finally
I went to a Doctor, an HMO.  I gave her all my symptoms - constant leg pains,
waking up all night to go to the bathroom, excessive fatigue, hunger and
thirst.  She told me I worked out to much and it was summer that was why I
drank so much.  Needless to say I was misdiagnosed.  It took another year and
a half before I ended up in the hospital with ketoacidosis.  Once diagnosed
it seemed everything began happening.  My eyes began hemorrhaging and I ended
up having a Vitrectomy.  My Drs at Joslin suspected I have had Diabetes since
I was in junior high.  I was finally "diagnosed" at 26!    Thankfully I got
on the pump after only a couple of years off injections, and haven't had any
damage since