Re: [IP] Re: Velosulin

In a message dated 12/07/2000 7:54:22 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< If you've used or are
 familiar with Velosulin, please share with me:
     -What is it>>
Velosulin is buffered regular insulin.  The buffer was added to prevent
clogging in the tubing. My CDE (and I trust her) says that the buffering is
no longer necessary because the tubing in recent years is much improved.

     -How do you use it.>>
Works the same speed as regular, so you have to adjust your basals and
boluses accordingly.  For example, H hits it's peak in me in about 60
minutes, V takes more like 90 to 2 hrs.  Also noticed that total insulin used
daily with V is higher than H, maybe about 20% for me.  Of course these
numbers are a big YMMV "your mileage may vary" item and you would need to do
some careful testing to find your numbers.

When I started pumping, that's all there was.  I also had a problem with H
hitting too fast.  Now that I have a newer pump with dual/square wave bolus
options, I use those to deal with that problem.

     -What effect has it had >>
My sites while on V lasted 4-5 days.  On H they last only 2-3 days.  I've
also tried a 5:1 mix of H to V in the pump which helped sites last longer.
But now I'm using straight H because V can have a tail-end residual that hits
4 hrs after the bolus for me.

It's not a bad option if it helps with your allergy problems, just takes a
little more planning and getting used to.