[IP] Diabetes in the family

In a message dated 12/7/2000 8:53:04 PM, email @ redacted writes:

>> Does anyone know the probabilities of a sibling/relative becoming a
>> diabetic vs a person with no family history?  I recall hearing a while
>> that there's a 1 in 7 chance if it's in the family and a 1 in 30 chance

My oldest brother was dx when he was 4 in 1943; I was dx in 1954; my other
brother was dx in 1959.
My cousin was dx in 1956 at age 10-she is dead now (last summer) due to
My daughter (age 16) was checked by that study in FL, several years ago, to
see if she would become diabetic, and they said, most likely not.
My brothers' children are grown and are not.
My cousin's son is grown and not.
My non-diabetic sister has 2 grown children who are not diabetic.

Susan M