Re: [IP] Heredity

This is sort of a tangent.

One of the most common questions for people to ask me
when they learn that I'm diabetic is "Does it run in your
family?" As it happens, diabetes *doesn't* run in my
family -- I'm the only diabetic, of any "type," in at least
three generations on either side. The closest relative with
diabetes we could find is one of my grandfather's first
cousins, diagnosed with type 2 in her 70's. But I think
it's a rather odd question. Of all the questions people could
ask me about having diabetes, why that?

The attitude that really burns me, though, is "you shouldn't
have children because you might pass on a genetic tendency
for diabetes," which I've gotten in overt or implied form on
numerous occaisions -- once from my own father. I know
that for some people with diabetes, the desire not to pass on
the disease is part of their decision not to have children, and
I respect that. Just as long as it's a real choice -- no pressure
to practice self-eugenics!

/Janet L.