[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V4 #688

In a message dated 12/7/00 3:03:03 PM Central Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> Heredity
> Does anyone know the probabilities of a sibling/relative becoming a
> diabetic vs a person with no family history?  I recall hearing a while back
> that there's a 1 in 7 chance if it's in the family and a 1 in 30 chance if

When i was diagnosed 19 years ago my brothers were told they had a 5% chance
of becoming diabetic too, don't know if those #'s have changed or not.
I was told just this fall that as a female diabetic my children have a 3-4%
chance of becoming diabetic and a male diabetic's children have a 8% chance.

type 1 diagnosed 9-81
new pumper!!
started 8-21-2000