Re: [IP] Endos using MDI as prerequisite before pump

My endo had me perform a series of blood glucoses for 24 hours, and in
the interim, on my own I bought the book "Pumping Insulin" by John Walsh,
(marvelous book) and studied it and began teaching myself about the
carbs, etc.  I had began counting the carbs a few months prior with my
injections...Also, I had been talking to a girl in CA who had just
started the pump and while I was deciding if I wanted to go on the pump,
she took down all of my criteria and helped me a lot as far as my dosage
by injection...

Before the pump, my endo knew my frustration in taking care of my D on
the injections, afterall we were changing EVERYTHING, ALL OF THE TIME,
and nothing ever made my control much better; therefore, in turn, I didnt
test as much as I should have, didnt try and keep on a tight timeline
schedule, (sleeping in til noon every chance I got) didnt watch my carbs
intensely,.....because when I did all of that hard work while on
injections it didnt matter.....there was no reward for all of that hard
work..never wanted to test because my numbers were never normal.....BUT
now, being on the pump and getting the results we both want...its worth
the work and the work seems so simple to me now.  I test at 6:00a.m.,
8:00a.m., 10:a.m., 12noon, 3:00p, 5:00p, 8:00p, 10:00p, and every other
night at 1:00a.m. and 3:00a.m.(alternately)....and you know what....that
is because I want to....not because I have to.
  But then, thats just me.... ; >)

>From: "Lena V" <email @ redacted> >Reply-To:
email @ redacted >To: email @ redacted >Subject: [IP] Endos
using MDI as prerequisite before pump >Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 14:15:01
-0600 > >My endo wanted me to show that I could follow an MDI regime
before >she wrote >me the prescription for my pump. It wasfor a very
short time just to >show I >was willing to test and count carbs. I used
this time to select >which pump I >wanted. I also asked her why and she
said that part of her job is to >help me >receive good numbers and get me
setup correctly, which she can only >do if I >am willing to test often
and count what I eat etc. If I can't >provide her >that information she
can't really help me set anything up as she >does not >know what goes on
with my sugars. > >I can see that it would be frustrating for an endo to
put somebody >on a pump >and then not be able to get them setup correctly
since they are not >willing >to do the work. I also know about a person
on a pump whose a1c used >to be in >the 9's because she was not testing
or counting carbs correctly. She >eventually ended up in the hospital
with DKA. She did not test and >didn't >see her sugar rising from a set
going bad. Did not feel it either >until it >was too late. She pulled
through and is today a model pumper with an >a1c in >the 6's.