[IP] Mexico

    I like the paragraph explaining the pump, especially the part about it
not being dangerous.  That's not well known here even in the U.S.!

    Before leaving on your trip, I would suggest that you get also get a
letter from your doctor on his stationary, have it translated and have the
translation notarized as faithfully representing what is written on the
letter.  The other suggestions are good, carry lots of supplies and of
course your prescriptions and your doctor's name and number in case there
are questions.

My husband and I went to El Salvador last summer and we were very nervous
about that.  Below, as a sample, is the letter which Roy's doctor wrote for
us and the translation that I did of it.  I was thinking that it might be of
some use to you.

If you do purchase Humalog, it's called Lispro and I believe that you can
get it without a prescription.  We actually felt more comfortable traveling
with the pump then we previously did traveling with needles and insulin.
The pump at least looks like it's medical related and that you're not a
druggy in disguise although we still carried back-up needles and insulin
just in case the pump malfunctioned.

To whom it may concern:

____________________ is a patient under my professional care.  He has a long
history of insulin dependent diabetes mellitus and currently uses an insulin
pump.  He adjusts this pump by frequent fingerstick measurements.

Please allow Mr. ________________ to take with him the necessary medicaiton,
lancets, testing strips and injection and infusion needles so that he can
continue to control his diabetes while travling in El Salvador.

Thank you for your time.

A quien pueda interesar:

_________________ es un paciente bajo mi cuidado professional. O l tiene una
historia larga de ser diabetico insulino dependiente y actualmente usa J l
una bomba de insulina (un microinfusor) para controlar su enfermedad. Para
vigilar el nivel del azd car en su sangre, ajusta J l la bomba y tiene que
medir frequentemente el nivel del azd car en su sangre con puncturas

Favor de permitir a Se{ or ________________ llevarlos consigo a todos los
medicamentos nesesarios, las lancetas (las agujas para puncisn), las tiras
del medidor electr\ nico, las jeringas, y las agujas de inyeccR on y de
infusR on para que pueda control su diabetes mientras que est< n en El

Gracias por su atencion.

    Yo juro que este es una traduccion correct de la carta de [fill in
doctor's name]___________________, con fecha de [fill in the
date]_________________, sobre [fill in patient's name]________________

    I swear that this translation of the attached letter from
correct and faithful translation.