[IP] Re: riddle me this

In a message dated 12/7/00 10:42:30 AM Central Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> Subject: Re: [IP] Riddle me this
> One of my doctors (not an endo) has a niece with diabetes.  She's 16 and in
> lousy control again.  She has been encouraged by family members (and myself)
> to try a pump, but her endo has said she can't until she gets in better
> control on MDI.  Now, my first reaction to this was how stupid.  On second
> thought, however, I don't think it's so much a case of getting better
> control on MDI, but of compliance.  If she's not trying at all on MDI to get
> control, putting a pump on her will probably be no better.  As we all know,
> just wearing a pump doesn't give you good control, the pump doesn't do it
> all by itself, it takes time and work on our parts to make good control
> happen.  So, I would guess that because of the cost of the pump, doctors and
> insurances would like to make sure that a patient will do the work before
> all the money is spent on a pump.
Does the 16 year old want a pump???
I went thru years of one endo refusing to give me a pump because I didn't
take good enough care of myself then later a different endo telling me I took
such good care of myself I didn't need a pump.
My current endo says all that is nonsense, if you want a pump you should have
a pump.  Non-compliance (oh how I hated that word in the 80's), as drs put
it, on my part was often discouragement because nothing made any difference.

"I think I've scratch the surface after 20 years of marriage.
Women want chocolate and conversation."  --Mel Gibson

type 1 diagnosed 9-81
new pumper!!
started 8-21-2000