Re: [IP] When is a teen "allowed" to pump?

Seems odd that success on MDI is the requirement for getting a pump --- when
I got mine, I had to defend my good HA1c's, LACK of success with MDI seemed
to be required.  I certainly think the people dealing with a disease should
have the say in how they deal with it, but I guess a little manipulation is
sometimes necessary.  To make doctors and insurance companies feel better
about a diabetic putting enough effort into making an expensive treatment
work, perhaps a more focused goal than "doing well on MDI" could be
substituted.  How about gaining really good carb counting skills, for
instance?  I would hope a doctor would react more positively toward pump
therapy for a patient who can show a log of foods eaten with the carb counts
next to them, a necessary skill for using the pump effectively.  Or perhaps
notation on a log of things that have effected blood glucose (exercise,
stress, illness, menses, etc.), and in which direction.  Or proving she could
pass Barbara Bradley's test mentioned recently?

Linda Z