Re: [IP] When is a teen "allowed" to pump?

Well ranted ! <VBG>

This one is a keeper for my 'binder'.  There are hundreds of e-mails in
that thing and I love to pull it out and show people all the
information  I have gathered over the past few years.  There are quite a
few from you there :)

I know there are people out there who had terrible control, despite
trying everything, and *gave up*    Teens and adults. Making good
control a must before pump startup may be a good measure of their
intent, but if it is considered necessary, I can see some teens falling
through the cracks.   If they start  pumping , and begin to see the
wonder of good control and the power they now have over blood sugars,
their feelings of well-being have got to go through the rood!  They will
WANT to take control.    Erica was only 10, and pumping was something WE
wanted, not her.  I asked her to do one thing for me, wear the pump for
a trial period and if at the end of 2 months (we had 6 to actually trial
it) she didn't want it...we would not force it upon her.
It was pretty exciting seeing the look on her face when she saw all
those 'in zone' blood sugars, and although on injections we never made
her feel (I don't think so anyway) that she failed when those blood
sugars were out of whack, I know they were a measure of success in her
eyes.  I didn't realize how much until I started seeing the psoitive
reactions to great sugars.  If they are out of whack now, there is a
reason that we can pinpoint and correct.....such a difference.  Much
less stress for her.  It is so empowering!

stopping now :)
Barb....mom to Erica, A Canadian Butterfly