[IP] Re:Carb to Insulin Ratio -rant rant rant

In a message dated 12/05/2000 12:47:17 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< Does this basal profile adjustment theory wash with you guys out there or
is
 there simply an underlying resistance that requires and increased amount of
 insulin to cover an a.m. meal?? >>

Susan,
This dawn phenom morning bg and carb ratio is the hardest thing to nail down
in pumping as far as I'm concerned.  I've been pumping for almost 5 years
now, and have tried a number of remedies.  Each works for awhile, and I find
myself switching from one to the other and back again.

I have gone from 1:7 carb ratio to 1:12 ratio.  I've tried all different
combination of basal adjustments, even use a wake-up bolus at times.  I think
there can be a lot of contributing factors making up that am bg.  A high-fat
late night meal can take a long time to digest and still have an effect on my
bg the morning after.  Lots of pm exercise can drop me like a rock the next
morning, i.e. this year I was the family hostess for Thanksgiving, at a
remote mountain location, and with all the physical work of putting that
together, woke up with a screaming low that I couldn't even test I was out of
it so bad, lucky to wake up at all.  Read a 40 after 30 minutes and 2 cups of
apple juice, couldn't chew tablets.  Lack of sleep will raise me higher upon
waking the next morning.  My ratio for breakfast at 8am is 1:8; by 9:30 a
1:12 ratio works.  Then the hormone fairy wreaks havoc the week before
period, takes lots of insulin; and moment I start, need very little.  Oh,
yeah, and a fight with daughter over appropriate school clothes can raise me
up 100 pts without eating a thing!!  Put all these factors together and its
no wonder that just changing your basal to the magic ***correct number***
whatever that may be, just isn't enough to hit it right.  After much practice
and figuring out what does what to my bg I'm better at it than I was, but NO,
the mornings are never stable for me.

The rest of the day is a piece of cake by comparison.

Jeanie