[IP] Re: ? ketones and pregnancy

I have a friend who always gets ketones during pregnancy but is
not diabetic (she is hypoglycemic though.) She also gets the
dizziness, etc. I remember reading somewhere once that ketones
are not uncommon in pregnany (diabetes or not.) Probably just
means she needs more calories (and to drink lots of fluids to
help wash the ketones out.) She is growing a baby and may not be
getting enough calories to meet both of their energy needs.
Ginny said:
My daughter is 4 1/2 months pg does not have diabetes. She went
in for her
monthly check up and she had ketones. Is this a sign of impending
diabetes? They did no BG check.
I am concerned. The mid wife told her to drink a lot of water but
it seems to
me they should have done a BG check.  Any input? Am I worrying
over nothing?
She has gained 4 pounds.
She is a petite person. She has been dizzy and faint feeling
between meals.
is a middle school teacher so she can't go and get something.
I don't know how to advise her re: this.
email @ redacted
PS My oldest daughter who is 30 never had any problems with
ketones during
pregnancy but she doesn't have diabetes either.
little guy due 3/10/01