[IP] Pump choice

Our insurance also does not cover the Animas, and while I think it's a GREAT
pump, our endo said I should not pay out of pocket -- that the other two are
great pumps as well. I agree that Animas should be covered the same as
others, but I also think that is Animas' job -- they need to get the
insurance companies to cover them. I just don't have the time to lobby for
them, so I'm choosing another pump. Which one? We meet with Disitronic
tomorrow and Minimed next week. My nine year old is scheduled to go on the
pump 1/22/2001 and from what I've read her, I would not have had the Animas
by then anyway. Too bad. I think it's a really great pump. Hope I feel the
same about the others!

Moira
Mom of Lauren, 9, begins pumping in Jan

> I wanted to say that I have been reading this board for several months.
> First to research my "choices" on which pump to purchase, and now to get
tips
> and tricks of the trade.  I have to say a few things.
>
> I am really glad that so many of you are researching all three of the
pumps
> before deciding which is best for you.  I did my research and decided that
> the Animas best fit my needs.  My local Animas rep has helped me through
this
> whole process and has enabled me to have a little bit of stability with my
> sugar levels. Animas has loaned me a demo pump to wear for a month because
my
> insurance company, UNITED HEALTHCARE has refused to cover this "new" pump.
> will be switching my insurance as soon as open season hits because of this
> factor.  What kind of insurance company denies a patient something that
can
> prevent the complications of this horrible disease?  Animas has gone
through
> the same trials that the other companies have and has obtained FDA
approval.
> Animas has offered a very competitive price (even less than the others) to
> get this through the insurance company.  After much research on this
> situation, I have come to a conclusion I find VERY UNPROFESSIONAL.
>
> When I was deciding on which pump I needed I contacted all three pump
> companies.  Both Animas and Disetronic were telling me my options and
letting
> me decide.  Minimed has been nothing but hard pressure sales and lies
about
> their competitors.  When they found out I was looking into getting the
Animas
> pump they did something to actually delay my process.  A MINIMED pump was
> almost shipped to me and billed to my insurance without my approval.  I
have
> heard several others mention this as well.  I feel that I was taken
advantage
> of by MINIMED so they would not lose a sale.  I wish they would have
accepted
> that fact that I did my research and I had made my choice based on which
pump
> is best for me. Had it not been for Animas' generosity and kindness, I
still
> would not have a pump because of their tactics. We are the ones that have
> wear these pumps, shouldn't we, along with our diabetes team, be the one
> make the choice?  I cannot say which pump is right for anyone but myself,
but
> I at least like to know that I am offered a choice and with my case,
MINIMED