Re: [IP] re: fear of DKA

> Hey everyone,
>   I have one little question that is weighing on my
> mind as I decide whether or not to joint he world of
> pumpers. Many of you have told me about your fear of
> DKA because apparently you can become detatched from
> the pump and not realize it, and because there is no
> long acting insulin DKA can occur rapidly. Is coming
> detatched a common thing? Pardon my neivity, but how
> can you not notice it? Doesn't it feel diferent?

There are three primary requirements for DKA

1) high bg's
2) ketone's
3) dehydration

Unless your were ill and dehydrated to begin with, it would be
unlikely that simply being detached would cause DKA until long after
you noted a bunch of other symptoms like needing to pee, being very
thirsty, etc.... Keytone production would take a little while to get
started as well....