Re: [IP] Re: Mixing insulins

Yep, I heard about all of that too.......and aren't you glad we have all
been able to get rid of the little lab in our bathrooms...."the clinitest
tablets, wherein the test tube turned 1 of 3 or 4 colors....How vague was
that for a glucose reading?????

Hugs to all

Rhonda McClary.

>From: "James" <email @ redacted> >Reply-To: email @ redacted
>To: <email @ redacted> >Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Mixing insulins
>Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 00:24:56 -0500 > >This brings up a tale from long
ago. In the old days, before we had meters >and pumps, most people took
one to three shots a day. We would mix regular >and a long acting insulin
(NPH or Lente) together for the morning shot. The >Reg would peak before
lunch and the NPH would peak before supper. Always, >if people were going
to eat away from home, they would mix the shot up and >take it with them.
> >I used to do this when I went duck hunting. We would stop to eat
breakfast >on the way home and that was when I took the shot. When I got
home, I would >try to get a few hours sleep, because I would have gotten
up at 3 or 4 am. > >This going to sleep was very dangerous for me, I
would have all sorts of >strange insulin reactions during the day. > >I
figured it was because of the exertion while hunting. The only problem
>with this theory was that I would have the same trouble after easy hunts
>that I had on difficult days. > >Then in the late 80's, someone finally
got around to testing what happened >when you mixed insulins. They found
that if you mixed Reg and a long acting >insulin, and let it sit for
several hours, the timing changed. The Reg >peaked later and the long
acting peaked sooner. > >I think this change in peaks was as much to
blame as the exercise for the >reactions. > >It must have been around 40
years that people had been mixing insulin in >syringes without anyone
testing its effects. > >The moral is if you mix a shot, take it right
away otherwise it will not >behave like the book says it will.-James > >
<email @ redacted> >Sent: Tuesday, December 05, 2000 8:00 AM
>Subject: [IP] Re: Mixing insulins > > > > Susan wrote<< > > When I first
came out, I was told and I also read that it should > > not be mixed > >
with other types of insulin, because it would lose it's > > effectiveness