Re: [IP] Re: Mixing insulins

This brings up a tale from long ago.  In the old days, before we had meters
and pumps, most people took one to three shots a day.   We would mix regular
and a long acting insulin (NPH or Lente) together for the morning shot.  The
Reg would peak before lunch and the NPH would peak before supper.  Always,
if people were going to eat away from home, they would mix the shot up and
take it with them.

I used to do this when I went duck hunting.  We would stop to eat breakfast
on the way home and that was when I took the shot.  When I got home, I would
try to get a few hours sleep, because I would have gotten up at 3 or 4 am.

This going to sleep was very dangerous for me,  I would have all sorts of
strange insulin reactions during the day.

I figured it was because of the exertion while hunting. The only problem
with this theory was that I would have the same trouble after easy hunts
that I had on difficult days.

Then in the late 80's, someone finally got around to testing what happened
when you mixed insulins.  They found that if you mixed Reg and a long acting
insulin, and let it sit for several hours, the timing changed.  The Reg
peaked later and the long acting peaked sooner.

I think this change in peaks was as much to blame as the exercise for the

It must have been around 40 years that people had been mixing insulin in
syringes without anyone testing its effects.

The moral is if you mix a shot, take it right away otherwise it will not
behave like the book says it will.-James