Re: [IP] re: Carb to Insulin Ratio Fluctuations

In a message dated 12/5/00 4:36:19 PM, email @ redacted writes:

<< My endo seems to be one of the top in the field and when I initially went
on the pump he said that the average person requires twice as much
insulin per carbo at breakfast than they do at the last meal of the
day.   >>

This statistic on morning increases in carb ratios doesn't seem to be tracked
on our web page, but I would be surprised if there were that much difference
-- I would guess 50% increase was much more common  (?????), and many of us
have slightly less than that.  But the fluctuation that bothers me at this
time of year is that last meal.  Most of the year my carb ratio is pretty
steady after the first couple hours of the day, but in the winter I have a
lot of variation with evening meals.  If I eat before 5:30 or so, I can keep
my regular ratio, but after that I always need more insulin, comparable to
the morning ratio.  I can't, however, just bolus a larger amount without
going low before bed -- I do best square waving the additional bolus starting
about when my head hits the pillow.

Linda Z