Re: [IP] re: Carb to Insulin Ratio Fluctuations

At 02:41 PM 12/5/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>For you medical buffs I need some clarification here.  I am a sufferer of
>varying CHO to insulin ratios throughout the day. i.e.:
>1. Breakfast = 5 to 8 gms of CHO to 1 unit of insulin (big differences here)
>(eat same toast+8 gms protein+coffee/cream almost daily)
>2. Lunch = 10:1
>3. Dinner 10:1
>Basal profiles: 3:00am to 9:00am .6/hour; 9:am to noon .4/hour; noon to
>3:00am .3/hour.
>I proffered to my endo recently that clearly the dawn phenomenon is at work
>here re: a.m. ratios and my difficulty in stabilizing/standardizing them.
>He said it was more to do with my a.m. basal being incorrect,

Do a fasting check of your a.m. basals and see whether your blood sugar
remains stable.  If so, then your basals are fine.  If not, adjust them
until they keep your fasting blood sugar stable.  Then start experimenting
with your CHO/insulin ratio.

You really need to separate these two tasks to get accurate results.