[IP] re: Carb to Insulin Ratio Fluctuations

For you medical buffs I need some clarification here.  I am a sufferer of
varying CHO to insulin ratios throughout the day. i.e.:

1. Breakfast = 5 to 8 gms of CHO to 1 unit of insulin (big differences here)
(eat same toast+8 gms protein+coffee/cream almost daily)
2. Lunch = 10:1
3. Dinner 10:1

Basal profiles: 3:00am to 9:00am .6/hour; 9:am to noon .4/hour; noon to
3:00am .3/hour.

I proffered to my endo recently that clearly the dawn phenomenon is at work
here re: a.m. ratios and my difficulty in stabilizing/standardizing them.
He said it was more to do with my a.m. basal being incorrect, ie., I
increased my basal appropriately, my CHO to insulin ratio should be
consistent at 10:1 at breakfast as it is for other meals.  I took his advice
and recently changed 3:00am to 9:00am basal from .5 to .6/hour.  It is still
not working. Pre-lunch today was 198 - breakfast was slice of brown bread
with some tuna fish = 2 units (8:1).

Does this basal profile adjustment theory wash with you guys out there or is
there simply an underlying resistance that requires and increased amount of
insulin to cover an a.m. meal??

Thanks for your input.

Susan R.