Re: [IP] Humalog

The Pink Panther Book, Understanding Insulin-Dependent Diabetes
(the Bible for us D parents) speaks often of mixing insulins,
even as many as 4 types (including H) in one syringe! I just read
somewhere recently (probably in the PP book as I was just reading
through it the other day) that R and H can get into each others'
vials and that is okay (because they are both clear) but N should
not get into the R or H vials as it can mess them up (due to the
suspension that makes it cloudy. We were always told to draw up
clear first, then cloudy, for that reason.) And also, that mixing
might change the onset of action or the duration of action of the
insulins but doesn't affect the potency. We've always
refrigerated our insulin (opened and unopened) and have used it
right up to exp date with no problems. I have no experience with
room temp insulin so I don't know about that. But I would imagine
that the variation in room temp could have some effect on it
after a while (but like you said, probably not for a long while.
Definitely not immediately.)

Susan said:
I have some questions about Humalog.

When I first came out, I was told and I also read that it should
not be mixed
with other types of insulin, because it would lose it's
effectiveness. At the
time, I was not on the pump and would use separate injections and
sites for
the N and H.

I also was told by the pharmacist that Humalog had to be kept
cold. I found
that this was not quite true when I was learning about the pump.
In time it
will break down, but not for awhile (month or 6 weeks) when left
at room temp.
little guy due 3/10/01