Re: [IP] need some advice

On 4 Dec 2000, at 13:18, Sarah Arnal wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>     I am 21 years old and I have been diabetic for 8
> years. Latley my diabetes control has been really
> poor, my last A1c was 12.2. I have heard so many great
> things about the minimed 508, that I would really like
> to try it out. However my endo. is a little hesitant,
> she sees it more as a last resort.

I've only been on the pump for a month, so I'm hardly
"experienced", but I'm more experienced than you are, right? :-)

The biggest problem I've had so far is finding good sites to put the
infusion set into.  I'm very very skinny and have very little fat.
When I pick the wrong spot, it aches and aches.  One time it was
so bad that I had to change it again within 2 hours and my tummy
skin all over was higly irritated for the rest of the day.  (Fortunately,
I'd chosen outer thigh for the new change).

The other problem I have is that I remove my pump from the leather
case every night to put into the Clip-n-go that Jennifer sent me.
Which means I also have to remove the clip from the back of the
minimed.  The buttons are on the same side as the clip top, which
means that I frequently press on the buttons and end up beginning
to program a bolus.  Fortunately, I have it on audio with maximum
volume so I'm aware of it the moment it happens.  This is just an
annoying thing.

Of the negative things I've heard so far about pumps, the biggest
fear is sudden DKA.  We don't have any long-acting insulin in our
systems anymore, just that tiny steady trickle of humalog.  So if
for some reason the pump is not working right we can go DKA very
quickly.  I test between 6 and 10 times a day, so during the day it's
not a problem for me.  I'll have time to correct.  But during the
night, if the pump has trouble, we might not wake up.

So, to help try to prevent that (it hasn't happened to me yet), I try
to make sure I don't eat a big slow meal too soon before bed.  I
don't want to wake up in a hospital!  That would be a really bad day.

Another drawback is having to test so often.  I used to test 4-6
times a day, now, 6-10 times a day.

I'm encountering a bit of trouble with the insurance company.  They
don't want to refill my strips or insulin this often (the pump wastes
a lot of insulin, especially as a newbie!!!!).  I'm going to have to ask
my doc for prescriptions that call for larger amounts.

My endo did not see this as the last resort.  Once she knew how
severe my needlephobia was, she wanted me to go on the pump
immediately.  But she waited until I was able to tolerate the notion
and until the insurance company would accept it (they wanted
proof that I was able to count carbs, and test and inject frequently
before they'd go for it).

So that leads me to another possible drawback:  you may have to
be more obsessive about it for awhile.  Until you get your basals &
high BG calculations nailed down.  I pretty much have had to throw
out everything I'd learned so far on lente and regular.

On days when I can't figure out why my BGs are high, I get
discouraged and hate the pump and wish I could just go back to
lente.  Fortunately, Minimed is good at talking me through pump
troubleshooting and my endo is excellent at figuring out exactly
what's wrong with my doses.

So far, however, the positives **far** outweigh the negatives.

Night before last, as we were driving past the new Krispy Kreme
that I'd heard so much about and saw that the Hot Now sign was
on, we were able to stop and get a couple donuts and indulge.
That kind of thing never happened when I was on lente/regular (I flat
out refused to carry my insulin and needles with me everywhere).