[IP] Re: Kap's endo is confusing me and him - Sliding Scale

Amen to that! :) Go with what you KNOW works!

We are very lucky in that our wonderful endo freely admits that,
while he may know the book knowledge about diabetes, it's the
parents (and the diabetic) who live with and manage it day in and
day out so they know the practical side of diabetes. So he says
to do what works (and what works is, of course, different for
everyone.) We (the endo and us) are learning all this pumping
stuff together as we go along and he actually asks *me* stuff
sometimes because he knows I read and research all the time (and
of course, the majority of info I've given him has come from this
list. This is THE best place to get educated!!!) There have been
a couple of occasions where I knew something that he didn't know
(for example, the rules for humalog...at pump start he had
figured my daughter's stuff using the rules for regular insulin)
and when I (respectfully) corrected him on it he was not only
very apologetic but grateful that I had corrected him (he THANKED
me)! Whattaguy! :) He recently referred a new dx to me for help
with the practical side as well as a couple of people who are
interested in pumping (one recently and one in the past.) Just
can't say enough good things about our endo! I wish everyone had
one like him!

email @ redacted said:
Diabetes is confusing enough, but when it works, leave it alone.
Thanks for listening to my venting.

little guy due 3/10/01