Re: [IP] knowing more than the docs

  You are 100% correct about us moms knowing more about our kids than their
endos.  It is hard to find a doctor who realizes that fact, or anyone else
for that matter.  That is why I am SOOO grateful for my son's endo.  He
actually acknowledges this fact and has been known to call or email ME with a
question, especially since Josh went on the pump.  Our endo was skeptical
about this at first and now he and his partner are SOOO glad that I and
another mom TOLD him we wanted our kids on the pump.  He swears by them
now!!!  Now if only I can convince the school nursing staff that they know
absolutely NOTHING about diabetes and the day-to day  care of it and ASK ME
when they have a questions (or Josh, my NINE year old diabetic for that
matter who knows more than any of them!!!)  Just because these people have a
degree in a medical field does NOT make them qualified in all aspects of

  That is one of the reasons why I have been trying out how I can become a
CDE.  I hold a 4 year BS degree in Dev. Psychology, with almost all pre-med
courses taken at the 4 yr college level (I thought I wanted to be a PT at one
point!)  I was a Hospital Corpsman in the Navy, I've worked in the medical
field almost all of my life and now I have 3.5 years of 24/7 experience with
Diabetes and now pumping.  It appalls me that an OT, PT, 2 yr RN (AS in
nursing), can be automatically qualified to do the state exam for CDE and
most of these people know very little about living with this disease.

  If anyone out there has any suggestion for me on how I might be able to
continue to pursue this...where I live there are NO Pediatric CDE's and No
CDE's that are familiar with pumping at all.  This is a somewhat rural area
with lots of military (we are retired!) and we have to travel a long distance
to get to where there is someone!!

Sorry about the ranting.  Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that there
ARE some doctors out there who are very willing to LEARN from the patients
and their families!!

sylvia Staten