[IP] Fast foods and high test soda

Make sure the test strip has a pad for glucose as well, or is
just a glucose-only strip. A ketone-only strip (or the ketone pad
on a multi-strip) won't change so it is useless for this purpose.
We've been using glucose strips for this since diagnosis 4yrs ago
but because of your note, I did a side by side (with diet and
regular soda) just to see what would happen. The ketone strips
did NOT change for *either* type of soda but the glucose strip
turned dark brown for regular and did not change for the diet.

Just wanted to clarify this as you used the term ketostix (rather
than diastix or chemstrips) which is somewhat misleading (the
keto only refers to ketone so if someone only has ketone strips
without the glucose pad too, it won't help them at all.)

Barb said:
I haven't been following this thread..so if I am repeating what
everybody else already said, sorry :)

A good trick for testing those fast food sodas (we call them pop
is to keep some ketostix in your glucometer (you can split one
into 2 or 3 pieces) and when in doubt - dip.  If it turns brown -
drink it down, if green stays bright - its alright!
It doesn't turn instantly brown, so give it about 10-20 seconds.

little guy due 3/10/01

November is National Diabetes Awareness Month! Help fund a cure
(insulin is not a cure, it's life support)!
http://www.jdf.org  Juvenile Diabetes Association
http://www.diabetes.org  American Diabetes Association
http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com  Children with Diabetes
http://www.insulin-pumpers.org  Insulin Pumpers