Re: [IP] Hospital procedures

Jack
I found out that the doctor will write the order fro the blood sugars
to be checked every six hours. They generally don't name the
times but the nurses on the floor have a schedule.

In my case recently in the hospital for a week. I talked to my
doctor and we figures out the times the meals were served and
when I normally check blood sugars. He then wrote the orders to
specific times for testing. The nurses weren't too pleased but I
figured that's not my problem. I did have to remind them on several
occassion to do the testing. I still had my own meter just in case,
but I was running low on sticks so I preferred for them to use theirs.

I also was grateful to the person who posted about having dietary
list the carbs for the meal tray. This also took a little work to have
them do but I was persistent.

Gail

This is a recurring subject, but I've just gotten out of the hospital
for R & R of my implant by my urologist.  I thought it was to be out
patient, so did not bring my supplies.  The nurses had a rule that they
only give bg tests every 6 hours, with no relation to eating times.  I
went into my room at 10 am and was tested, they would not test until 4
pm.  If the 6 hour came a a half hour after food, that's when they
wanted to do it.  The only way I could get tests when I wanted was to
tell them I might be high or low.  This is the hospital (Valley, LV)
where I was first taught how to use the pump, and they seem to have
deteriorated in the last 7 years.

--
Jack Granowski
email @ redacted