[IP] Exercise, disconnecting, HIGH BGs from (adreneline?)

Sometimes when Gus(8) exercises (one hour of ice hockey or vigorous soccer)
he'll have a normal BG reading prior to exercise, unplug, drink only water
during the work out, and then have a BG of  350-450 (yesterday evening 495!)
right afterwards.  We bolus a little less than we would if it were a food
related or site-failure related high, and eventually he comes down, but this
continues to mystify me.  Also, it doesn't always happen.  Any thoughts?