[IP] re: Disetronic Pump?

If this is a question for all D users:

>There have been several posts to the insulin-pumpers listserve
regarding MM
>pumps from MM pump users.  There have not been many posts from D

This list, like America, has about 80% MM users.  In the world it's
about 50/50, I believe, and I have noticed that 'most' D users are
not quite as vociverous as MM'ers.

>Would you please take a few momments to answer these questions:

>1.  Why did you choose the Disetronic pump?
BOTH pumps are excellent.  I think that most new pumpers are guided
by the preferences of their cde's or doctors.  My doctor was more
familiar with D, the cde with MM.  We went over the +'s and -'s and
I chose D.  This was 6+ years ago.

>2.  What are the three things you like best about the Disetronic
When I was told of the waterproof and 2 pumps, it was the end of the
discussion.  I have had zero problems with it.  I feel like I could
use it for a hammer, underwater.  At a X-Mas party for work a few
years ago, all the managers were thrown into the pool.  I don't know
how I would have reacted if my pump was not waterproof.  I ended up
just playing water polo for an hour with no problems.  I wouldn't
have wanted to fight them off, or run away.  The longest I've been
disconnected is less than an hour.

>3.  What are the top three things you would change about the
Disetronic pump?
I would like to see prior bolus', rather than just the last one.
Sometimes when I have a high bg and immediately take an extra bolus
I then can't take a look and see if my last one was incorrect, or
missed.  The square wave bolus would be nice, although I wouldn't
need to use it much.  I would rather not have a lot of doo-dads,
lighting, remote, etc. which is just more things to break down, and
use up batteries.

>4.  What do you think of the customer service provided by the
Disetronic company?
Excellent, although I haven't had enough problems to be an expert,
they have answered my questions and helped with my mistakes (I
didn't bring replacement cartridges, infusion sets on vacation 5
years ago).

>5.  What advice would you give to someone selecting and just
starting to use a pump?
Go by what is important to you.  You may not have the same doctor
for the life of the pump and he/she won't be wearing it anyway.  If
I had my current doctor when I got a pump, he would have recommended
an MM, because that's the one he is more familiar with (or they give
a better kick-back now(g)).

Six years ago it was an easy decision for  me.  They are much closer
now, although I would still choose my current pump.  While the
changes in MM would be important to many, they would not change my

>I look forward to receiving your insights.

>email @ redacted

Jack Granowski
email @ redacted
Had I known, I would have become a plumber.
 - Albert Einstein 1945, after Hiroshima