Re: [IP] Increased BG's after exercise

On Mon, 27 Dec 1999 email @ redacted wrote:

> In a message dated 12/27/99 7:06:17 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> email @ redacted writes:
> <<  When I finished skating (2
>  hrs worth but part of that was on my bottom <grin>) I was 119.  I thought,
>  "cool!  I did it right"  Well, we then went and did some errands, when I got
>  home 1.5 hours later, I felt kind of yucky tested and I am 423!   What would
>  do this?  Also what could I possibly have done different to avoid this.
>   >>
A number of pumpers have reported this kind of rise immediately following
heavy exercise when there has not been enough insulin on board to allow
muscles to properly absorb glucose. One of our athletes recommends a
small snack + insulin so there is insulin in the blood stream. Don't
recall who it was but if you search the mail archives you can probably
find his reply. YMMV