[IP] Re:sore fingers & eye exams

Shortly after my son was diagnosed 4 years ago, I attended a diabetes
seminar at one of our local hospitals.  A visiting doctor told about
growing up with diabetes, and struggling as a very active athletic adult
(he also runs marathons), and also the stresses of his chosen occupation.

He also mentioned about sore fingers and I'll never forget his advice.  He
said the soreness and the resulting black marks was caused by a slight
hemorrhaging of blood right under the skin surface.  He advised to pinch
the newly pricked site between your thumb and index finger while your meter
was counting down.  Since I'm still squeamish about doing finger pricks to
myself (Anthony is a real trooper about this and doesn't think twice about
it), I've given it a try and it does work.  My fingers haven't been the
least bit sore at all afterwards....and when Anthony remembers to do it, he
doesn't get as many little black marks.

Anthony had his first baseline exam and photo of his eyes within a couple
of months after diagnosis.  He's had a yearly one since.  When we switched
to his new ped endo a year ago his HbA1c was at 11.4.....and came down to
8.0 in two months.  At the initial exam she told us not to get his eyes
examined by an optometrist for his vision for at least 6 months because he
had sugar bubbles on his eyes from having such high numbers.  Two months
later they were gone and we were given the go ahead for the exam.

We got a call from the MM rep yesterday, and they got the authorization
from our doctor.  They forgot to put the color choice.....Anthony picked
blue of course!  Not long now :)

mother of Anthony, 11, dx 9-22-95, pumping very soon!