Re: [IP] Re: Justin and the Utah trip......

I have spent a good bit of time at the downtown "Y" in Birmingham in the
steam room. I would start the morning with a 1/2 mile swim and then 15 - 20
minutes in the steam room with no adverse effects (for me). I will admit I
saw a sign near the whirlpool, sauna and steam room area warning diabetics
about the use of these facilities, but I never found anyone who could
explain why. I still swim and steam at a closer location to home and am
supposed to start on a MiniMed 508 tomorrow (12/28/99). I will post my
experiences in the next few weeks.

Jim

At 09:55 PM 12/26/99 -0500, you wrote:
>I have used hot tubs while i was shooting and it never seemed to bother me.
>Let
>me know if you find out any thing differently. There are a few more post
on hot
>tubs and insulin 12/26/99.
>
>email @ redacted wrote:
>
>> Just when this Mom thought her hair was turning BACK from white to its
>> natural (ha!) blond..........Justin's blood sugars have been SO normal while
>> skiing in Utah, despite my worries - he's managing himself quite nicely.  I
>> decided I'd give the poor kid a break and not call him last night, even tho
>> it was time for a site change.  Lo and behold, my ex-husband called me last
>> night to let me know he'd heard from the Utah folks and that Justin DID
>> remember its time for a site change and was going to do it AS SOON AS HE GOT
>> OUT OF THE HOT TUB!!!  $*#&$*  Freaked out since I recall prior posts about
>> insulin and hot tubs, I made the ex immediately call Utah and have them yank
>> the kid OUT of the hot tub and explain why he can't be in it.  Thank G-d he
>> had the sense to take his pump off before going into the tub, but I wasn't
>> sure if that was good enough.  Any advice?  Would the tub still cause an
>> insulin rush from the insulin in his tissues?  Or can he enjoy the tub as
>> long as he'd disconnected?
>> You all are the greatest support group in the world!  Thanks thanks thanks
>> thanks!
>> Sunny

Jim Holman