[IP] Increased BG's after exercise

In a message dated 12/27/99 7:06:17 AM Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<<  When I finished skating (2
 hrs worth but part of that was on my bottom <grin>) I was 119.  I thought,
 "cool!  I did it right"  Well, we then went and did some errands, when I got
 home 1.5 hours later, I felt kind of yucky tested and I am 423!   What would
 do this?  Also what could I possibly have done different to avoid this.

Dear Leslie,
Perhaps  the blood glucose increase is the result of stress hormones being
released from the workout. The "Insulin Pumpers" book suggests decreasing
temp. basals during exercise, but I have the reverse situation because of
stress hormone release.  When I exercise I actually increase my temporary
basal rate by .2 units for 1-1/2 hours at the start of exercise. The stress
of the exercise and subsequent BG increase lasts for a good hour after
exercise.   It doesn't really seem like an extreme workout...it consists of
30 minutes daily on a stairstepper machine....but nevertheless, I always
increase my basal rate to cover the inevitable blood glucose increase from
exercise.  I hope this helps.

Liz